Chicago White Sox Codexery

Second Comiskey Park

The South Side home of the White Sox from 1910 to 1990, demolished in 1991 after the new park opened.

Comiskey Park stood as a historic landmark in Chicago's Armour Square neighborhood on the near-south side. Built by owner Charles Comiskey and designed by Zachary Taylor Davis, it served as the home of the Chicago White Sox from 1910 through 1990. This concrete-and-steel stadium hosted three World Series and more than 6,000 Major League Baseball games. Beyond baseball, it witnessed legendary boxing matches and hosted NFL champions. The original park was demolished later in 1991, after the new facility (originally New Comiskey Park) opened in April 1991 just to the south; that new park later underwent name changes to U.S. Cellular Field and then Rate Field.

Closed
1990
World Series Hosted
3

Verified Timeline

190919101911191719181919192319261927193319391941194719501959196019621971197319761979198319901991

Lore & Background

Comiskey Park was defined by its unique geometry and pitcher-friendly dimensions. Influenced by Sox pitcher Ed Walsh, the field measured 362 feet to the foul poles and 420 feet to center field. This layout made it extremely difficult for hitters, resulting in a unique record where no player ever hit 100 home runs there; Carlton Fisk set the mark with 94. The park earned the nickname "The Baseball Palace of the World" early on. In 1973, the venue recorded its largest crowd of 55,555 fans for a doubleheader against the Minnesota Twins during "Bat Day." Conversely, just two years prior in 1971, only 511 spectators attended a game against the Boston Red Sox, marking the smallest attendance ever recorded.

In Their Own Story

The park's history is filled with dramatic moments and strange occurrences. On April 22, 1923, a bombing suspected to be linked to labor unions occurred during unrest over open-shop painters. The stadium hosted four World Series, including the infamous 1919 "Black Sox" series where the White Sox lost to the Cincinnati Reds. In 1950, All-Star Game heroics turned tragic when Ted Williams collided with the outfield wall and broke his elbow. The most chaotic event was Disco Demolition Night on July 12, 1979. Organized by Steve Dahl and Mike Veeck, over 50,000 fans attended while another 20,000 crashed the gates. The explosion tore a hole in center field, leading thousands of intoxicated fans to storm the infield, steal equipment, and destroy the playing surface, resulting in the nightcap being ruled a forfeit.

Reader's Guide

Fans experienced distinct traditions at Comiskey Park that shaped its identity. From 1960 to 1990, Andy the Clown entertained crowds with his elongated cry, "Come ooooooooooon, go! White! Sox!." Starting in the 1970s, organist Nancy Faust led chants like "Na-na-na-na, na-na-na-na, hey-hey, GOOD-BYE!" for departing pitchers. Broadcaster Harry Caray famously conducted "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" during the seventh-inning stretch from the center field bleachers, a tradition he later took to Wrigley Field. Owner Bill Veeck introduced innovations like an "exploding" scoreboard with pinwheels and a picnic area created by replacing left field walls with screens. He even installed a shower behind the speaker horns in center field for fans to cool off on hot summer days.

Did You Know?

Architectural Evolution and Design Philosophy

Built on a former city dump purchased by Charles Comiskey in 1909, the stadium replaced the wooden South Side Park. Originally named White Sox Park, it was renamed Comiskey Park within three years. The name reverted to White Sox Park in 1962 before changing back to Comiskey Park in 1976. It was the third concrete-and-steel stadium built in the major leagues since 1909 and briefly held the nickname "The Baseball Palace of the World." As originally constructed, it seated almost 32,000 fans. Light towers were added in 1939 to enable night games, with the first home night game occurring on August 14, 1939. The design featured pitcher-friendly proportions: 362 feet to the foul poles and 420 feet to center field. During the 1926–1927 off-season, single-deck pavilions and outfield bleachers were replaced by a double-decked stand surrounding almost the entire field.

Multisport Hub and Diverse Tenants

Comiskey Park was not exclusively for baseball; it hosted multiple professional sports teams. The Chicago Cardinals of the National Football League called the park home when not playing at Normal Park, Soldier Field, or Wrigley Field. They won the 1947 NFL Championship Game over the Philadelphia Eagles there before leaving for St. Louis in March 1960. The Chicago American Giants of the Negro American League played at the venue from 1941 to 1950. The park also hosted soccer teams, including the Chicago Mustangs and Chicago Sting of the NASL, and held the final edition of the original Soccer Bowl. In boxing history, the field saw Joe Louis defeat champion James J. Braddock, launching his 11-year run as heavyweight champion.

Historic Moments and Infamous Scandals

The first game at Comiskey Park was a 2–0 loss to the St. Louis Browns on July 1, 1910. The first no-hitter was thrown by Ed Walsh on August 27, 1911, in a 5–0 win over Boston. The stadium hosted four World Series: In 1917, the White Sox defeated the New York Giants; in 1918, the Red Sox beat the Cubs (who borrowed the park for its larger capacity); in 1919, the White Sox lost to the Cincinnati Reds in the "Black Sox" series; and in 1959, the White Sox lost to the Los Angeles Dodgers. The 1959 Series was historic as the Dodgers became the first West Coast team to win a World Series. Comiskey Park also hosted three Major League Baseball All-Star Games: in 1933, where Babe Ruth hit a home run; in 1950, marked by Ted Williams' injury; and in 1983, featuring Fred Lynn's first-ever grand slam in an All-Star Game.

Legacy of Play and Final Demolition

From 1971 until its demolition in 1991, Comiskey Park was the oldest stadium still in use in Major League Baseball. It hosted more than 6,000 games and four World Series. The park's final post-season action occurred in 1983 when the White Sox lost the American League Championship Series to the Baltimore Orioles. After a new Comiskey Park opened just to the south, the original structure was demolished in 1991. The new stadium was later renamed U.S. Cellular Field and then Rate Field. Throughout its history, the venue saw attendance vary wildly, from a record 55,555 on May 20, 1973, to a low of 511 on May 6, 1971.

Frequently Asked Questions

What was Second Comiskey Park?

This stadium served as the Chicago White Sox home from its opening in 1991 until a corporate renaming occurred in 2016. It replaced the original ballpark on the same South Side location to offer modern amenities while honoring tradition.

Who designed the facility?

The facility was architected by HOK Sport, now known as Populous, to balance historic charm with contemporary comfort. Its natural grass surface and seating layout were intended to bring fans closer to the action than previous generations of stadiums.

Why does this stadium matter to fans?

It became the backdrop for some of the franchise's most defining moments during the late 20th and early 21st centuries. The modern South Side home is where legends roared and champions rose within the team's history.

Is Second Comiskey Park still in use?

While still active today, the venue was renamed Guaranteed Rate Field in 2016 following a sponsorship agreement. Many fans continue to use the historic name when referencing the specific era of play between 1991 and 2015.

Where is the ballpark located?

The stadium stands on the South Side of Chicago, Illinois, maintaining the franchise's long-standing geographic identity. It remains the primary tenant for the White Sox while serving as a key landmark for local sports culture.

More in Stadiums & Fan Culture

Related in Chicago White Sox

Links follow this subject's own source article.

Elsewhere in the Chicago White Sox universe

Open in the interactive codex →